September 10, 2008
I am home sick with some sort of wicked stomach bug threatening to turn me inside out, make a party dress out of me, and wear me for dinner. Or something. Hmm… I’m pretty sure I mixed some metaphors there. Also? That was gross. Eh, I shall leave it. Because I am at one with the grossness today. Dude. GROSS.
That being said, when one does not want to venture too far from one’s… er, bedroom for fear of not being close enough to one’s… um, bedroom when it is necessary to USE said… okay, BATHROOM, fine! are you HAPPY?! GROSS!… then it should come as no surprise to me that I have finally given in to the machinations of fate which have been conspiring against me for years to further my already massive pop culture repertoire by finally giving in to the wily ways of those rascally kids from the O.C. And yet, here I am… surprised! Because did you HEAR me?! The O.C., people! Honestly! I never thought this day would come! I mean, I avoided this show for YEARS! Marissa Cooper who? Seth Cohen what? Summer who freaking cares? Ryan… yum?
Damn you, Hulu.com! DAMN YOU to HELL!
And yet… THANK YOU. Because hello? With the awesomeness?
I blame the illness. It’s the only explanation. I’m delirious. Right? RIGHT?! GAH!
Okay. So… anyone know when they are planning to post Season 2?
August 21, 2008
Okay, so we’re breaking out! The stay-cation has morphed into a wicked cool mini-break! Woot! YES! Because stay-cations equal sadness for all. Honestly. Well, at least for DWM and clan. I’m just saying. Staying is NO FUN. At ALL.
So, now that I’m done with the filming (oooh, that’s what we call a “teaser” in the biz…) We’re off to NYC, all y’all. That’s right! New York City! All of us! Even TGIM! We’ve never been, so… EXCITING?! That being said, if there is anything we absoLUTEly need to do while we’re in the Big Apple (wait… do we still call it that? is that un-hip of me? Dear LORD! I don’t even KNOW!), let me know, mm’kay?
And now, I must pack. For the wicked cool mini-break I happen to be going on with the fam. Because we are done with the shoot. And we are no longer staying. We are mini-breaking. Which is way better.
August 12, 2008
(I originally posted this back in August of ’05, but now with my 20-year reunion a’loomin’ and me feeling wicked nostalgic and whatnot, I thought I’d do a little DWM REWIND and post it again, slightly altered for timeliness. Because it’s my blog and I CAN, that’s why!)
Feeling nostalgic. That is all. Feel free to add to the list. In fact, I strongly encourage you to do so!
Things I Miss from the 80’s:
1. Seeing 95 pounds peeking out at me from my scale. *le sigh*
2. Cruising for boys on Gurley Street with my homies, blasting the remix version of Billy Idol’s “Catch My Fall” (killer bassline, y’all), sipping Sundance Sparklers (nonalcoholic!), screaming “Memory! All alone in the MOOOOONLIGHT!” every time we passed by the scene of a make-out or break-up. Of which there were several. Ooooh! And “Old Man Driiiiiiver!” (to the tune of “Old Man River”) whenever we passed by guys WAY TOO OLD to be out cruising. Of which there were several. Huh, Di?! Huh?!
3. My ginormous Esprit and Guess? bags, which held everything from my Adventures in Literature textbook to my clunky cheer shoes to five or six really radical to the max cassette tapes to my assorted jelly bracelets and banana clips. And sometimes my lunch.
4. Rainbow-colored eyeshadow and blue mascara. And blue eyeliner, of COURSE. Duh.
5. Wham! The Wham Rap? Classic, y’all. CLASSIC. I still know all the words. Ask anyone. Go on. Try me. Do it. No, really. DO IT.
6. The Solid Gold Dancers. No, seriously. LOVED. THEM. Wanted to BE. THEM.
7. Saying “psyche!” Oh, and “freak!” Wait…
8. Star Search. When it was GOOD.
9. The Brat Pack.
10. Crimped hair, big bangs, strategically placed headbands, bangle earrings, and Swatch Watches with jelly Swatch Guards.
11. Cyberpunk Max Headroom. CATCH THE WAVE!! ‘Member, guys?! Do ya?! Dude. That was totally our Homecoming slogan one year. Go, Badgers!
12. Atari. I mean, c’mon… Frogger? Pitfall? GALAGA?! Hello?!
13. Spandex biker shorts under my paint-splashed, acid-washed denim mini. It just LOOKED COOL, okay?! Geez.
14. Debbie Gibson…. What?! I DO! And if you must know, it is possible that I miss Tiffany, as well. PERHAPS.
15. A time when I actually WANTED my MTV.
16. Echo & the Bunnymen, Cutting Crew, Scritti Politti, Tears for Fears, and Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark.
17. My acid-washed jean jacket covered with ENORMOUS, entirely superfluous silver buttons and an assortment of safety pins with multicolored beads strung through them. Which meant I was very popular and had lots of friends. Right?
18. Sleep overs with my girlfriends, at which we listened to KISS FM, gossiped about boys, experimented with our hair, traded comfy pink Esprit sweatshirts for zip-tapered, pastel-flowered Guess? jeans, and– contrary to TGIM‘s much-fantasized belief– DID NOT engage in naked pillow-fighting. But TGIM? Said girlfriends DID teach me how to French kiss. That one’s all yours, baby.
19. Slap bracelets. Preferably neon. Lots of ’em.
20. Freezing my ass off while cheering at home football games. In the snow. In a cheerleading uniform. With NO pantyhose or tights. Because that would have been TACKY.
21. Singing along to “Wig” by the B-52’s at the top of my lungs on the bus during away football trips: “What’s that on your head? A wig! Wig, wig, wig! Wig’s on fire! Wig’s on fire! Wig’s on… fire! It’s 2525 and we’ve got the most wigs alive!” Why does nobody REMEMBER this song?
22. Tanning on the roof with a fluffy towel, my boombox, and big-A bottle of Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil. For the Tan of the Islands! Or more freckles! Usually more freckles! Whatever!
23. Every single solitary stinkin’ John Hughes movie. I mean, sometimes I used to watch The Dead Zone on USA just to see Farmer Ted (AKA: The Geek from Sixteen Candles) and reminisce. “I never bagged a babe. I’m not a stud.” Seriously. Who writes movies like that anymore?! No one, that’s who!
24. Jams with coordinating t-back tank tops.
25. Comfy, unlaced Keds.
26. First REAL kisses. Cheetos optional.
27. Boys in cuffed jeans and unlaced Reebok high tops. I don’t know why, really.
28. Slouch socks. Ooooh! And slouch boots! Because they totally hid my freakish chicken ankles, all right?
29. My mini black lace ra-ra skirt, a la Madonna in Desperately Seeking Susan. HAWT.
30. Wearing sunglasses at night. Hey. Don’t be afraid of the guy in shades, oh no.
Sadly, I could go on and on and on…
Not that NOW isn’t good! Oh, I LOVE now! But your high school years, they stay with you, you know?
Which, once you think about it, is at the same time slightly comforting and absolutely horrifying. Especially, it seems, if you lived out your teenage years in the 80’s. Just sayin’. That’s a hard era to shake. The hair, the styles… I mean, just look at all the Mom-Pants out there. Totally 80’s! Honestly. It’s 2008! Lose the MOM-PANTS, ladies! LOSE THEM NOW.
And sometimes, guys? Sometimes? I have this almost overwhelming desire to poof up my bangs. You know, just a little. Like, “Oh, just an inch or so won’t hurt….” But it would! Dear lord, it WOULD!
Oh, NO. I just realize that the bulk of my childhood was spent during the 70’s! Don’t even get me STARTED on homemade polyester bell-bottoms, roller skating rinks, my Donna Summers fixation, tetherball wars, and hula hoops. PLEASE. Just… don’t.
That’s a post for another day, y’all. A post for another day…
May 29, 2008
Okay… well, that was supposed to be a play on the lyrics of Billy Joel’s “Shameless” (or Garth Brooks’, whatev, pick your poison, I don’t judge), but I realize now that it just sounds dirty.
So I made this wicked awesome header logo for my Chassy Studios website (to match, but not totally match, DWM and TechnoGeekery) and I want to brag and whatnot, not to mention plug my services (dude, again with the dirty), even though I am actually too busy right now to take on any new clients, which is completely beside the point, clearly, but I thought I’d mention it, so step OFF me! GOSH.
Ah, yes! The header logo! Shameless plug! Because of the wicked awesomeness!
Eh? Eh?! With the Chassy Car and the Chassy Town and the Chassy Tree and Chassy Buildings and e’rything?! Right?!
Wicked awesome. I’m just saying.
So… there you have it.
Oh, I’m shameless. I just wanted you to know.
Oh, I’m down on my knees… shameless.
Hmmm… there’s a joke in there somewhere. I just KNOW it.
April 7, 2008
I may have just been spotted–at work!–air guitaring along with the (wicked awesome) song playing on my iPod.
Hey! I can’t help it! The music is in my SOUL, so kindly step OFF me, yo?
Well. This can’t be good for my street cred with the urban cubicleland demographic.